29 March 2010

Life Lessons

At John's funeral (he was 90+) a few years ago, Lee (c. 70) stood up to tell this story:

When I was about 16, I was walking through town one day. I saw John working on his truck, so I asked what he was doing. He told me he was rebuilding the transmission, and asked if I could help. "Sure,"He replied. We worked for a couple hours and got the whole thing put back together. We got in the truck and started up, and John put the truck in first gear. He eased his foot off the clutch... and the truck lurched backwards 4 feet!

John shut off the truck, looked at me and said, "Let that be a lesson to you, Lee. Whenever you test out a transmission, always look behind you first."

Lee finished the story, "I have no idea what that means, but I've never forgotten it, and I've tried to live my life by it."


A true story. All of which serves as an entrée to this video clip.

1 comment:

Tony said...

On FaceBook, a Sem classmate of mine named Bob made this comment:

As Todd Nichol (one of our Church History profs) used to say, "how we will be about working out this business of being Christian, Lutheran, and American, will tell the tale as to whether we continue as a 'church' or not." I think it can work (just like I think capitalism and Christianity can work) but there are some who do not. To say one shouldn't be schismatic in America is to, basically, be an idiot. The country was founded on schism, for crying out loud!