31 March 2009

Debt Forgiven?


It seems that some moron in Washington state got a traffic that he thought was excessive. To protest, he filled a plastic bag with coins, urinated in it, and mailed it to the clerk of courts office. The clerk of the court returned the bag saying,
that said they couldn't be taken because "the pile of coins emitted a strong, pungent odor of stale urine."
Since the article goes on to state that it is not illegal to send bodily fluids through the mail, it would seem to me that this moron, whose behavior I find reprehensible, has satisfied the debt.US 31 section 5103 reads:
United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues.
And I was heard that if someone refused to take legal tender, you did not ultimately money unless they had previously posted conditions which they would not accept it under (such as "no large bills after eight PM, etc.)

I recall that some of the young people I worked with at Washington State youth camp were imprisoned for assault when all they had done was spit on someone. It would seem to me it would have been smarter to have accepted the money, and then arrested the guy for assault. Right now, I don't think they have a case.

H/T BotWT

No comments: