02 March 2009

Change I Can Believe In




This almost escaped my notice the other night. Toward the end of his speech last Tuesday to the Joint Session of Congress (which was not, apparently, a state of union address), Pres. Obama said:
And we must also begin a conversation on how to do the same for Social Security, while creating tax-free universal savings accounts for all Americans.
That struck me as oddly familiar. In fact, it kind of reminded me of this statement:
Another interesting idea is to allow younger workers, on a voluntary basis, to take some of their own money and set it aside in the form of a personal savings account -- a personal savings account which is their own; a personal savings account which would earn a better rate of return than their money currently held within Social Security.
That, of course, was President Bush in 2005 suggesting the privatization of Social Security. (Which, I pointed out here, you never should have done, and since he did, he should have better explained.)

I thought to myself, this can't possibly be the case. I must've misunderstood. Well if I did, the Moonbats the Democratic Underground and the commentators at this blogger's site got exactly the same impression I got: privatizing Social Security may be back on the table.

Of course, I don't believe the word of it. This is the President who talks about not raising my taxes are instituting cap and trade so my energy companies' taxes go up and they pass the bill on to me. This is the President who says the issue is not a government or small government, but government that works, and then I was treasury secretary does nothing but pass out money as the Dow drops below 7000.

No. I don't believe a word of it.

But my favorite discovery in looking around the Internet to figure out this line comes from someone at Democratic Underground who calls himself bottomtheweaver. This person is so totally disconnected from reality that he actually wrote this:
He just said we need to face up to fixing SOCIAL SECURITY!!! Good grief, it's the most UN-broken progam in our nation's history!!!
Yeah. It's un-broken, as long as you don't expect it to continue past seven years from now.

No comments: