16 December 2008

... support and defend the Constitution of the United States ...

"I, James Anthony Lang, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

With those words, my oldest son became an airman in the USAF today. The oath was administered by Brigadier Gen Dennis Schulstad (Ret), a good friend of my father-in-law.

Interesting to witness the level of respect that was shown to this retired general by every senior officer there. ("If you have a moment when we are done, General, I'd like to speak with you, sir.") And on his departure from the lobby, a "ten-hut" was called out, and every man in uniform there, from every service, snapped to attention.

But for us, the main event was Tony joining up. Family pics of Tony before and after the swearing in follow.


Tony and his recruiter, Sgt Haggedahl (sp?), Rice Lake, Wi.
Me and my boy.
Tony and his grandparents (mom's side.)
Grandpa, little brother Matt, Tony & Uncle Jim.
Tony & Gen Schulstad.
Gen Schulstad, Tony, Aunt Beth and mom.

Now he is off to Lackland AFB, Texas. And I could not be prouder of him.

No comments: