16 September 2007

Reverse Jury Nullification

I have always believed that the O J Simpson verdict in the murders of Goldman and Brown -Simpson was a case of jury nullification. By focusing on the language used by Detective Mark Fuhrman in an odd circumstance, O J's attorney's got the mostly black jury to focus on the potential racist attitude of the LA police department and therefore acquitted what was - to most of the rest of the country - a guilty man.

I do not know much about the demographics of Las Vegas, and I do not know how strong the evidence is in the current burglary case against him, but it would seem to me that it is possible that OJ might find himself serving time for the double murder over the theft of some sports memorabilia.

I wonder if that is really what he was after after all ...

No comments: