18 August 2007

The "I'm Sorry" Culture

It seems odd that we expect whole peoples to apologize for things that were done by their ancestors. A few years ago state governments are apologizing all over the place for Jim Crow laws and Slavery. My former church body apologized a few years ago to the Jews for Luther's writings.

I think the whole notion of historical apologies cheapens apologies in general, and while I can regret something my great grandfather may have done, I do not know that it is appropriate for me to apologize at all, and certainly seems silly for me to apologize to someone else's descendants. (One of my forebears was on Sherman's March to the Sea, so who knows how many Southerners I might owe an "I'm (collectively) sorry" to ...)

But as apologies for ancestral wrongs go, this one takes the cake:

Sorry we ate your forefathers

The descendants of Papua New Guinea cannibals who killed and ate four Fijian missionaries in 1878 have apologised.
Now everyone can finally move on, I guess.

No comments: