06 April 2007

James Taranto: Children's author

I post this from BOTWT without additional comment, except to say that it works for me.

Obama-Piper '08
Chug, chug, chug. Puff, puff, puff. Ding-dong, ding-dong. The little train rumbled over the tracks. Her cars were full of good things for boys and girls.

Then all of a sudden she stopped with a jerk. She simply could not go another inch. She tried and she tried, but her wheels would not turn.

"Here comes a shiny new engine," said the funny little clown who jumped out of the train. "Let us ask him to help us." But the Shiny New Engine snorted: "I am a Passenger Engine. My train has parlor cars in which people sit in soft arm-chairs and look out of big plate-glass windows. I pull the likes of you? Indeed not!"

The Rusty Old Engine sighed: "I am so tired. I must rest my weary wheels. I cannot pull even so little a train as yours over the mountain. I can not. I can not. I can not."

"Oh, Little Blue Engine," cried the dolls and toys. "Will you pull us over the mountain?" Then she said, "I think I can. I think I can. I think I can." She tugged and pulled and pulled and tugged and slowly, slowly, slowly they started off.

Too slowly to keep up with the Shiny New Engine, as the Associated Press reports:

With a stunning $25 million fundraising haul for his presidential campaign, Democrat Barack Obama affirmed his status Wednesday as Hillary Rodham Clinton's chief rival. . . .

[Mrs.] Clinton was at home in New York Wednesday and had no comment on Obama's announcement. But her campaign manager, Patti Solis Doyle, issued a statement congratulating Obama and said the fundraising of all the Democratic contenders "demonstrates the overwhelming desire for chug in our country."

Chug, chug, chug. Puff, puff, puff. We didn't think she could.

No comments: