22 August 2006

Hey little girl, want some music?

My bride and I enjoy karaoke. Have for years. We went to a local lodge (read: campground eatery & bar) last weekend to try it out here. Since families were camping there, a number of teens and younger were in the place, which is fine.

First, a trio of a 10 year old boy, his dad and a family friend got up and sang a couple Johnny Cash songs. Then some solo acts. A group of girls, mostly aged 11-14, I would guess, got up to sing, along with a little sister who was perhaps 8, and what seemed to the the mom to the 8 y.o. and one of the older girls.s I did not recognize the songs, but I had heard of them.

I had never actually heard the Pussycat Dolls hit song Don't Cha (chorus lyrics: Don't cha wish your girlfriend was hot like me?Don't cha wish your girlfriend was a freak like me?Don't cha? Don't cha?Don't cha wish your girlfriend was raw like me?Don't cha wish your girlfriend was fun like me?) or the song Hollabackgirl before; I am certain that I am not richer for the experience. (I admit that I had seen the Best Week Ever crew make fun of the Hollabackgirl. Reveal: I do enjoy that show.)

Then there was some confusion as the DJ tried to play a second song for the same group of girls, because she did not realize the song they were asking for was the Red Hot Chilli Peppers’ Californication.

The mom, who looked maybe 35, was so proud of her daughters and their friends. Considering the music she encourages them to be listening to and the results of this study, I hope the mom is ready to be a grandmother. Soon.

TS

No comments: